Sunday, March 9, 2008

Lavender honey bunches


This past weekend, I did a little clean-up of my magazine basket which was overflowing with stacks of printed recipes, issues of Edible Brooklyn, Bon Appetite, and the occasional Economist (when I feel I've become too engrossed in all things food).

Within the stack of recipes, I came across this one that uses fresh lavender and
gave it a whirl remembering a precious stash of organic lavender that a friend gave to me and some really good butter that's been sitting in my fridge too long.


Lavender can often taste soapy and overpowering in desserts, but it does well with the strong flavors of honey, coconut and butter. They bake crispy on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside, with only a subtle hint of lavender.
If you're lucky enough to have some good-quality organic lavender around, this is too easy a recipe not to employ.


Recipe: Lavender honey bunches

From Purpole Haze Lavender
3 cups quick oats
2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup unbleached flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon dried lavender


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine oats, coconut, and flour in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a heavy sauce pan bring butter, honey, sugar and lavender to a boil. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Drop dough by the spoonful into muffin tins or cookie sheets, making each one about 1-2 inches high.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden, being careful NOT to overbake. Cool in the tins/sheets for 15 minutes before removing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! that looks "super YUM"!
I imagine the lavender makes it even more special. I have to try this soon! Very simple recipe, just the way I like it.
-MF

Elle said...

Those look delicious! I have a lot of recipes with lavender, but not with lavender and coconut--I think we'd love these. Thanks for sharing!

marias23 said...

That sounds wonderful! I've never baked or cooked with lavender before but now I will definitely try it out :)

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

That looks delicious!

Undercover Cook said...

MF, they were tasty indeed, especially right out of the oven.

Elle, the lavender-coconut combination was a nice surprise. I think the fragrance from the coconut helps to play down the lavender a bit.

Marias23, good luck! I hope you'll enjoy it.

Jessy, thanks, they were!

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen must have smelled HEAVENLY!
-MF