Thursday, February 21, 2008

Muesli mush


I love mushy food. Korean pumpkin porridge, my mom's pine nut porridge, steel-cut oatmeal, ragouts, soup-soaked rice, and muesli mush. My friend C. in Bonn made this for me with amazing European-quality yogurt and muesli, and a local honey made by a family friend. She she shredded the apples into it, but I prefer them julienned for a crispy to contrast with the mushy. This is may sound gross, but I tend to like it even better the next day when the muesli is extra-mushy from having soaked up all the moisture.

Recipe: Muesli mush
1 cup good quality organic yogurt (Greek or any other creamy, fine quality yogurt)
1/4 cup muesli mix (you can usually find this in the dry bins of health food stores)
1/4 favorite crispy apple shredded, diced or julienned (pears and cantaloupe are good, too)
Drizzle of good raw honey to taste

Optional:
Large pinch of slivered almonds, pistachios or chopped hazelnuts (toasted or raw)
Dash of cinnamon

Mix all the ingredients together and add a little dash of cinnamon if desired. Ta-da! You have muesli mush.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of mushy food...
Have you ever tried hot granola? I've been making this every morning for the past 4 months (good with cold milk too, but you'll find it very crunchy)

Granola with hemp seed
very HOT milk (I use 2%)
Dried fruit (I use sweet cherries)
1 mashed ripe banana

1) In a bowl, add granola with hemp seed and add dried fruit
2) Heat milk and pour half of it into the bowl of granola/dried fruit mix
3) Stir and let sit till granola gets soft (mushy)
4) in a separate bowl mash ripe banana and add to the hot mixture
5) add remaining hot milk to reheat the food

I use enough milk to turn this into a soup/porridge consistency. The hemp seed adds a bit of texture.

-MF

Undercover Cook said...

MF, this looks right up my alley of mushy comfort food, which all your food seems to be. I partlicularly like the idea of a mashed up banana.